English in the Office provides business English training to managers and professionals of all levels who compete in today’s international market and need the global currency – English. Through client-centered, interactive training, participants learn to communicate effectively in English. English in the Office designs each program with the client’s specific needs i.e. – position, company, industry and available time – in mind.
Core Program Units may include:
- English Language & Discussions
- Successful Presentations
- Successful Negotiations
- Navigating Across Cultures
- Effective Business Writing
English in the Office analyzes the client‘s needs and then helps them function in English in the Office and take their careers to the next level.
English Language & Discussions
We begin with a needs assessment session- free of charge to determine how to best meet the client‘s needs and goals in their career. Some possible points to touch on may include:
- the language basics – using verb tenses correctly,
- expanding the client’s vocabulary, use of key phrases
- strengthening grammar
English in the Office brings the language to life by using materials from the client’s area of business and their workplace. In discussions of actual business situations and role plays, clients strengthen their English, and practice the key but tricky situations found in meetings and on the phone. Participants learn to:
- propose a plan
- ask direct questions and give indirect answers
- give and reject advice
- express strong opinions
- move from request to suggest to demand
- buy time
- disagree with a subordinate, a colleague, or a boss
Clients move their English forward and advance their careers.
Success in today’s international corporate world means knowing how to give clear, confident and convincing presentations. Clients practice presentations and can follow their progress on video to make sure that proper use of English language, body language, and visual language have the strongest impact. Learn to speak the English of presentations and learn to:
- target the message for the strongest impact
- use visuals aids to your advantage
- handle Q&A sessions confidently
- finish strongly
English in the Office helps clients sell their products, services and ideas with power and Powerpoint, in English.
Whether proposing a new project or working on a corporate merger, negotiations run all through business, and English in the Office takes you through all phases of negotiating. Discussions here include international negotiating styles, the importance of relationship building, bargaining styles and outcome expectations. In this Unit, clients learn how to speak the English of negotiating:
- plan strategies
- identify positions and interests – and know the difference
- develop a Plan B: options and alternatives
- learn what to say, when to be silent – and when to walk away
In lively simulations and role plays, clients learn to confidently develop winning solutions for everyone, in English.
Navigating Across Cultures
During discussions, negotiations, or even a drink in the pub, cultural differences must be given proper consideration. National culture plays a key role in how managers communicate, make decisions, and lead. Looking at your own culture in international business is equally important. In this Unit, we cross borders and cultures to discuss all of these issues:
- business socializing
- language traps: false friends-same word, different meaning
- using humor
- different countries, different power structures: tips and taboos
Ignoring corporate and national culture can sabotage projects in an international enviroment; knowing them ensures success.
Effective Business Writing
In our digital world, from making initial contacts to closing the deal, business is handled online. In this Unit, we cover the essentials of English business and technical writing for emails, letters and reports that are clear, concise and correct. You will learn to: write for the reader
- use simple language and the right tone
- master the mechanics of punctuation and grammar
- use bullets: write less and people will read more
With more effective communication, clients reach their business goals. For information on training formats and locations for the Core Program Units above, click Formats & Locations.